Is Your Business Ready for Windows 10?
By now, you’ve surely heard the buzz about Windows 10. Microsoft is working hard to upgrade every machine to its newest operating system, which is angering some users who prefer older versions of Windows. Upgrading home computers is one thing, but businesses? Now that is a different conversation!
Business infrastructure is a complex beast, especially when it comes to technology and IT. Upgrading one thing can send unanticipated ripple effects across the organization. Here at Digity, we want to make sure our clients understand their options when it comes to upgrading, so we’ve compiled a list of things to consider before you take the plunge — plus a very special offer.
Why We’d Recommend Windows 10
There are several reasons why we recommend Windows 10 as a great operating system for our clients. Our Technology Advisors can explain in detail, but here are the highlights.
- 10 can boot up faster, even on older hardware. We have many clients who worry that their computers are too old to run a new operating system. However, Windows 10 is designed to be efficient and easy to run. Many machines have seen faster reboots, even on older models with Windows XP.
- Get the latest & greatest security updates. The biggest risk you run with older versions of Windows is outdated security. Microsoft stopped supporting XP in 2014, which means users no longer receive security patches. This leaves your computer vulnerable to online attacks and other bugs. Microsoft has already ended mainstream support for Windows 7, and extended support only has a year or two left. If you upgrade to Windows 10 now, your computers will be better protected by ongoing security updates.
- 10 has a familiar interface. It brings back the beloved Start menu that was missing from 8. Rather than trying to shoehorn a tablet interface onto a computer screen, Microsoft went back to basics to design its new OS. Windows 10 will look and feel familiar to longtime users, but it also includes the best new features from Windows 8.
- It’s free… for now. For a one-year period, Microsoft is offering its newest OS to current Windows users for free. This mirrors the model Apple has used for years. But, come July 29th 2016, Windows 10 will no longer be free. Instead, upgrading will set you back $120 (Home version) or $199 (Pro version). If you want to upgrade at all, it might be best to do it now.
Why We’d Advise Caution or Discourage Windows 10
- Software compatibility is a larger issue for businesses than for home users. If you depend on certain programs to perform calculations, track purchases, or store customer information, it’s important to know whether these applications are compatible with Windows 10 before upgrading. The last thing you want is to boot up your shiny new OS, just to find that years’ worth of data and familiar programs are missing.
- Speaking of missing data, it’s critical to have recent data backups on hand, just in case anything goes wrong during the upgrade process. We all know how important data is today’s businesses, and upgrading your OS comes with a certain level of risk. Luckily, that risk can be mitigated by preparing up-to-date backups beforehand.
- If you read that and thought, “Okay, but I still want to upgrade now while it’s free,” here is some sobering news. The free version of Windows 10 is the Home version, and not every computer qualifies. The Pro version will still cost you $199 per license, so we recommend taking your time to reach a decision. Now, it’s possible that some of your work computers do qualify for a free upgrade. That’s definitely an option worth exploring, but only if it suits your software and data needs.
If you want to push the ‘pause’ button on upgrading, but you’re still seeing those “Get Windows 10” pop-ups, this article will help you delay the upgrade: Don’t Click the X! Latest Windows 10 Push is Sneaky.
Introducing Digity’s Windows 10 Consultation
We know this is a big change for many of our clients. We expect that the ongoing push by Microsoft will cause more people to consider upgrading. If you’re ready to evaluate the possibility, we have a special offer for you.
Introducing the Windows 10 consultation. It’s a one-on-one conversation with an expert Technology Advisor, where we can address any questions or concerns you have. We’ll perform a complete system analysis to determine whether Windows 10 is a good fit for your computers. We can determine whether you qualify for a free upgrade and safely back up your data. Worried about software compatibility? No problem! We’re happy to call vendors for you and ensure their programs work with Windows 10. Our goal is to make the transition as easy and pain-free as possible, so your business doesn’t experience any interruption as a result. And the best part? It’s FREE.
Our Windows 10 consultation is only available for a limited time. For more information, or to schedule your free consultation, call us today at 1 (877) 907-4025.
Trackback from your site.